We love our food and drink so much, we need to make sure we keep in shape! Luckily there are lots of indoor and outdoor options to keep you entertained!
The escarpment gives us natural stairmasters! So you get your cardio on a daily basis by hiking up any of the 7 sets of escarpment stairs. You can cycle and run along the waterfront trail, or through the Bruce Trail.
In March, the annual Around the Bay Road Race takes place – streets are shut down to accommodate the 1000’s of runners in the 30km, Relay and 5km runs. It is the oldest one on the continent, being run since 1894, it takes the participants around the Hamilton Harbour. You need to sign up early as it gets sold out most years.
The Hamilton Marathon of Hope is a Boston Marathon Qualifier, taking place in the fall
Hamilton is the overnight stop for the 200km Ride to Conquer Cancer – I still can’t believe they cycle up the escarpment hill AFTER a full day of biking from the start location in Toronto!
Hamilton’s appeal to the small business owner has resulted in a great variety of small personalized gyms and studios:
Catalyst Specialized Personal Training – Kirkendall area at Dundurn and Aberdeen – one on one personal training and rehab, focus on learning how to move properly and safely, speaking from personal experience Catalyst is run by a small team of amazingly fun and supportive people, but that’s just my opinion 🙂
- Gym on Locke – Locke Street – small personal gym with personal training
- Alchemy Crossfit – friends of mine swear by it in Kirkendall not just for the workout, but for a real community experience
- De la Sol Yoga – 3 locations in Hamilton, Waterdown and Burlington, offers great monthly packages, training for instructors and beginner options
- Ouroboros Brazilian Jiu-jitsu – founded in 2014, it is next to the De La Sol Yoga Studio Waterdown location, classes for kids and adults for exercise, self defence and event competition level training
- The Core – Performance Training and Fitness Studio – get your TRX training on in small class format, 1521 Upper Ottawa
- Moksha Yoga – Hot Yoga! Clean Green living – check them out in Dundas at University Plaza
- Gravity Climbing Gym – if mountain climbing is more your thing, check it out on Frid Street in Kirkendall
- CrossFit Odeon – Westdale has a crossfit gym with flex schedules with lots of group sessions on the schedule
- Momentum has a new location in the gorgeous Textile building downtown on George street if hitting the treadmill lookin’ at exposed brick is your thing!
If a more traditional gym is more your style you can find Good Life fitness downtown at Jackson Square, in East Hamilton or on Upper James. 5 Star Fitness with locations in Ancaster, Stoney Creek and on the east mountain.
Each community has city run recreation centres with ice rinks, basketball courts, baseball fields and swimming pools. The Bayfront has a great outdoor rink that has roller skating in the warmer months, and ice skating in the winter.
For more locations of trails, and outdoor activities – check out the Back to Nature page!
What People are Saying
- The Hamilton Spectator July 2014 – Beat the Heat at the new Rosedale Outdoor Pool
- CBC – March 2014 – Around the Bay: 5 Special Moments along the 30km Course
- The Hamilton Spectator July 2012 – Roller Skating making a Hamilton comeback